Sunday 11 March 2007

annual dinner

The colour red was the theme of our annual dinner.

Accordingly I put on a short red leather skirt and red fake eyelashes, attached some red wig hair to my ponytail and to complete the red look, red lipstick and red eye-makeup was applied.

(The close up shows Phobe (winner of the nights best-red-theme-dress-contest), me, Tiina and Marietta).

The annual dinner consisted of:
- 12 small courses (unfortunately, most of them did not tickle my taste buds too much…)
- games
- a lucky draw (I’m now an owner of a tiny little MP4 player)
- a million clicks on every ones cameras (the Chinese go absolutely crazy with their cameras…).

The hours passed pretty quickly and after the dinner a big group of us continued, to a hotel where you pay by the hour… or for a full night I guess, depending on how much you want…

But it’s not that kind of hotel… it’s a karaoke hotel. Karaoke is extremely popular around here, so naturally an entire hotel full with karaoke rooms are a very cool and popular idea. Did my best ,together with most of the other Scandinavians, singing ABBA’s Dancing Queen, but must admit that the original is better…

However, after a while we moved on to the bar area of HK, Lan Kwai Fong (where the presence of “gweilos” (white people), like myself, seem disproportionate given that we constitute less then 2 percent of the population…) and it was buzzing as always... With my short red leather skirt and red make up on, I felt slightly out of place and uncomfortable, and indeed did get some stares throughout the night.

And after a group of older men had stared a bit too long, and I had blamed it on my somewhat “slutty” look, Marietta (pretty drunk at the time and clearly upset that a colleague thought she was 30 when she actually is 23…) sighs and fully seriously says: I think I rather be 30 than a hooker…

Which I decided was the best comment all night.

1 comment:

Evalinn said...

Ha ha - me too! Tell Marietta I´m even rather 33 than a hooker (I think...though I only tried one of them...)