Monday 22 September 2008

what to do?

Nobody is going to stop doing business in cheap China. Why should they... When there's a demand, there will always be a supply...

The West needs to realise that it can't have it both ways. Dirt-cheap products and a clean conscience. There is no such thing. Perhaps you and I need to realise that we can't have dirt-cheap trainers and Chinese factories where the workers get treated like human beings.

Ok, I understand, it's hard to comprehend things like this, and it's easy to hide from. The truth. It's so far away.

But I'm telling you, it is heart breaking to go to these factories. You feel ashamed of where you come from, the colour of your skin and being who you are. The even sadder part is that I base my words in my previous post on factories regarded as "good" factories, because that all I've been too. That's worth writing again. Good factories. And I've been to a few; I've been to clothing factories, a suitcase factory, a make-up factory, a factory where they make slime and beads that stick together with water only, a packaging factory, a pen and pencil factory, a plastic toy factory and a metal toy factory. Probably more factories than that, which I can't remember right now. And the feeling when I walked out of these places was always the same. I felt sick to my stomach.

I’m not saying that people should stop doing business in China. But the business they make in China should be good business. Business where they pay for themselves in every aspect. Business they can be proud of, business with a clean conscience.

Honestly, can anyone with a healthy heart and a sane brain ignore what we are doing here with a clean conscience? I know I can’t…

I want to give you a few words on the way:
Awareness & Knowledge
Caring & Compassion
Respect & Responsibility
Reaction & Action

I believe that if people lived by the words above the world would be a better place.
I believe that you and I can make a difference.

If you and I care.
If you and I show that we care.
If you and I demand a change.
And if you and I are willing to pay for it.
Always chose fair trade products and ecological products when there is a choice.
Cause remember; if there is a demand, there will be a supply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hej sjukling!! Stackare!! Jag va tvungen o adda den här texten/länken till min facebook, tycker du skriver sååå bra o klokt!!

Love u mest! puss

ulrica said...

Hej syster yster,
Tack for de orden.
Tar du utmaningen oxa?
Kommer du borja handla fairtrade och ekologiskt?
Du brukar ju alltid tycka jag ar tontig som gor sant...