Thursday 28 August 2008

every day

Most days you go on about your day as you do every other day, like the day is no different from the day before.
Maybe sometimes it's more or less true, but when you think about it, there's always something that makes that day just a little bit different from the other day, is there not?

Sometimes I feel that I/we don't appreciate every day, every moment, when the truth is that that very moment is a gift. Sometimes I feel we get to wrapped up in everything that we don't take time to appreciate where we are...

That's when I go for my walks. Because that's when I think the most and the best. That's when I stop up and appreciate life and the moment extra much.

Like last night.
A walk to Wanchai, a walk along Wanchai waterfront and a walk home again(always a very impressive sight looking out over the harbour at night, gazing over the sparkling city). And I stop up and I think, wow - I live in this city. In this international city with its non stop blinking lights... And I remember the first time I came here, 12 years ago. How excited I was, how big the city felt.

I remember how I "took on" the city. I did what I always do when I come to new cities, I walked out, I let my feet lead me where ever they wanted to go, I let myself get absorbed by the noise, the blinking lights, the people, the traffic, and once I felt done I found my way home again. And I do remember the 'oh I know where I am'-feeling when I saw one of the very tall buildings in front of me and realised that the hotel wasn't too far away.

It still feels like yesterday when I took the Star-ferry over to Kowloon for the first time. Walked off that ferry and found a store with great discounts on Calvin Klein Underwear. Sight-seeing and shopping. A great combination.
I returned to my hotel room very satisfied that night...

You see, in my point of view walking is the absolute best way to explore a city. Because by walking, you feel it, you smell it and you breath it. OK, it might not always be pleasant sights and/or smells, but you are there and you can take your time if you want, you're not only passing by in a car or a bus, and that memory and those feelings no-one ever can take away from you.

So take your time, feel it, appreciate it and collect memories.
I think that's my new mantra.
I think that's something we all need to do.
Appreciate life and what it brings.

Until next time.
xx

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kan man ana en liten höstdepp här...?! /Randis

ulrica said...

Mr R,
Absolut inte alls. 30 grader och sol, samt ett leende pa lapparna rimmar daligt med hostdepp... Hur mar du och hur gar nya jobbet?

Anonymous said...

Hälsan = njursten (aj!)
Jobbet = full fart med alldeles för mycket resor.
Puss!
/R