Monday 9 March 2009

chinese wedding

I just got home from my first real traditional Chinese wedding.
And it was different but interesting.

I learnt that you sit around a round table for hours and eat.
Think we had 11 courses. And to my sometimes quite picky western taste buds some of the dishes were a struggle, although there were some that were better.

I also learnt that it's totally OK to bring a deck of cards that you take out and play with your mates around the table when you get bored.

Chinese weddings are usually big, cause you need to invite everyone you know and a few more. This particular wedding filled up a ball room with out any problems at all. A rough estimate and I would say that we were more than 350 there. And out of those 350 I was the only one who didn't have black hair. Felt like a pretty lonely gweilo at times, especially as the whole night was in Cantonese. But that was expected of course and I'm just happy that I now have something new to tick off my list of things to do before I die.

And oh, think the bride changed her dress 5 times during the night.

Time for bed.

No comments: