Sunday 29 January 2012

humbling


On our last day in Cambodia we had 2 real humbling experiences.
In the morning we went to the big "Pol Pot" prison in Phnom Penh, "Security Prison 21" (S-21). This is the prison that the Khmer Rouge from 1975 to 1979 used to torture and kill an estimated 17,000 people in.
We walked around this building that still today is enclosed in barbed wire and has tiny prison and torture chambers, and all windows are covered with iron bars and barbed wire.
The pictures of some of the people that was killed during this time brought tears to my eyes, and it really makes me wonder what ever made some people so cruel and how we can do things like this towards each other over and over again.

In the afternoon we went to a school that supports children that grows up on the old city dump of Phnom Penh. Again, absolutely heartbreaking.
I am so blessed and fortunate having grown up under the conditions that I grew up in and living the life that I live now compared to these poor kids.



Leaving Cambodia I felt like I really had been taken down to earth. And for that I thank you Cambodia, and I promise to try and help you in return.

No comments: